Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking a civil litigation associate to join our Seattle office in Construction Defect practice area.
Construction Defect includes: products liability, and defense of developers, general contractors and sub-contractors, against claims for breach of contract, and negligent construction.
Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
As an associate for Smith Freed Eberhard, you will have real responsibility from day one. Experience associates often manage cases from start to finish. They take and defend party, witness, and expert depositions, handle arbitrations, and argue motions. Candidates should be proactive, creative thinkers who are willing to put in the hard work to solve problems for our clients.
- Identify, research and analyze legal issues and conflicting legal opinions; reviews legal authority cited by litigants; and conducts self-directed independent research as may be needed to further clarify issues and reach sound judicial decisions.
- Draft pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Exhibit good judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients
- Provide legal representation of clients to protect their interests in defense of complex and high exposure litigation.
- Explain litigation to those unfamiliar with the process, as well as make your case to judges, arbitrators, and opposing counsel.
- Take charge of cases to move them toward cost effective, efficient, and fair resolutions.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and seeks assistance when needed.
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Has an understanding of client-specific billing guidelines and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Provide assistance on the handling of other attorneys’ files when needed.
The ideal candidate for this position is an attorney with who has demonstrated the ability to handle complex assignments in a lead role, work independently, have excellent research, writing, communication and interpersonal skills, handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, and be a member of the Washington State Bar in good standing and/or recent graduation with Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas.
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change.
- Effective Communication – expresses ideas clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications. Uses proper grammar and punctuation.
- Analytical Thinker – The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic approach.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Flexibility – Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city from the 43rd Floor of Big Pink
- In house litigation training
- Bonus opportunities
- Mentorship Programs
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Competitive billable goals
- Flexible work schedule
- Attorney retreats
- Relaxation Massage
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
- VPN – Virtual private network
- On The Go billing technology
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.