Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking a paralegal to join the Portland office in our personal lines practice area.
Personal Lines includes automotive liability, premises liability, wrongful death, underinsured motorist (UM), uninsured motorist (UIM), personal injury protection (PIP).
Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
As a paralegal for Smith Freed Eberhard, your responsibility includes case management by reviewing and analyzing claims file materials, preparing notebooks, indexing and comparing documents, and creating and maintaining medical chronologies and billing summaries. You will be responsible for all aspect of discovery, which includes preparing and serving discovery requests, summarizing discovery responses, and identifying and obtaining all documents needed to complete discovery. This could entail preparing Subpoenas Duces Tecum and conducting investigation research. You will be responsible for assisting the attorney with exhibits, documents, and file preparation for deposition, arbitration, and/or trial. You will be required to identify and understand each client-specific billing guideline and ensure all billable work is being performed within those guidelines.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and manage multiple deadlines
- Monitor and case management of litigation files, including tracking deadlines
- Ability to move cases forward with little supervision
- Draft various pleadings such as Motions, Affidavits, Orders, Request for Production, Requests for Admissions, Subpoena Duces Tecum, etc., specific to case
- Familiarity with Oregon law
- Review and respond to written discovery requests
- Review medical records/bills and create medical summary and medical billing
- Perform in-depth research and investigation for case development
- Assist attorneys with exhibits, documents, and file preparation for deposition, arbitration, and trial
- Identify and understand each client-specific billing guideline to ensure work is being performed within those guidelines
The ideal candidate for this position is a paralegal who has two or more years of experience working in insurance defense, specifically personal injury. Someone who has demonstrated the ability to handle complex assignments, work independently, have excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills, and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously. Familiarity with medical chronologies and/or the insurance industry is a plus, as well as experience in preparing Motions, Affidavits, Orders, Request for Production, Requests for Admissions, Subpoena Duces Tecum.
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change
- Effective Communication – expresses ideas clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications. Uses proper grammar and punctuation
- Analytical Thinker – The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic approach
- Initiative – Identifies what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it
- Flexibility – Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city from the 43rd Floor of Big Pink
- Competitive billable hour
- Bonus opportunities
- Mentorship Programs
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Relaxation Massage
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
- On the go billing
- Most current versions of Microsoft office and running on windows 10
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.