Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking an Accounts Receivable Specialist to join our team in our Portland office. Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
The accounts receivable specialist will manage the invoice deductions and appeals for the Firm, manage collections on all past-due accounts, and update and maintain accurate A/R records. Daily tasks will include reviewing and analyzing financial history, reconciling payments, updating and tracking active disputes in Excel spreadsheets, contacting clients via telephone, and updating and tracking A/R in Excel spreadsheets.
- Analyzing client account history
- Manage collection of all past due client accounts
- Meet monthly collection goals
- Manage client invoice deductions
- Research and resolving the resolution process for disputed invoices
- Manage submission of appeals for adjusted invoices
- Responsible for familiarity with client billing guidelines
- Accurately maintain collection spreadsheets (in Excel) with daily updates to actions taken and payment resolutions
- Accurately maintain dispute spreadsheet (in Excel) with daily updates to action taken, submissions, statuses, and resolutions
- Prepare account reconciliations to track payments and deductions
- Maintain account follow-up procedures and best practices
- Review invoice and payment statuses via various e-billing sites
- Assist with monthly billing, as needed
- Handle communications with clients, and firm’s staff and attorneys, while maintaining a high level of tact and professionalism
- Interact with clients and attorneys, predominantly via self-initiated contact, while ensuring high level of responsiveness in pursuit of continued client satisfaction
Education and Experience Requirements
- 2 + years’ experience working in an AR role
- Experience with e-billing programs
- Passion for accounting, math, and problem solving
- A working knowledge of Excel
- Capable of identifying issues, developing creative and effective solutions, and resolving issues through acceptable and practical business solutions
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills are imperative
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Team player
- Ability to meet weekly and monthly goals
- Understand basic accounting and double-entry bookkeeping principles
- Must have excellent organizational skills for prioritizing heavy workload
- Billing & collection experience
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas.
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change.
- Effective Communication – expresses ideas clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications. Uses proper grammar and punctuation.
- Analytical Thinker – The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic approach
- Initiative – Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Flexibility – Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city from the 43rd Floor of Big Pink
- Bonus opportunities
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.